The Australian Census is being collected this week and it prompts me to share something my mother told me earlier this year
We
had been remembering an old family friend named Hector Kinloch, who had
a role in the 1967 Referendum through his work at the Australian Bureau
of Statistics.
There
is a widespread idea in the contemporary Australian population that notable referendum was
historic for addressing racism toward the First Nations populations, and
it's idea I heard more than once during the recent referendum for the
Voice in 2023.
The Australian Institute of
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies website notes that "many
people think that the [1967] Referendum gave Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander peoples the right to vote, this wasn’t the case."
The
Wikipedia entry gives a little more detail in identifying that "Voters
were asked whether to give the Commonwealth Parliament the power to make
special laws for Indigenous Australians, and whether Indigenous
Australians should be included in official population counts for
constitutional purposes."
My
mother told me how she heard directly from Hector how he'd asked at an ABS meeting whether the next Census would
count Aboriginals and it was this decision that had prompted a referendum to include them in
the Australian Constitution.
This seems like one of those moments where a small decision takes on a much bigger result.
However, I can see that it isn't how the event is generally known.
Look how a significant institution like the National Museum of Australia frames the 1967 Referendum as an outcome responding to pressure from protests:
Seeing the way facts are shaped into a narrative is one of the interesting aspects of history, but I expect there's probably a number of factors and even more characters claiming an influence.
It'd be interesting to compare the questions in a Census, because I remember that in previous years there was data collected about how people use their free time.
The Australia Council, I think, used that information to show more people were involved in cultural activities (as simple as reading a book) than in sporting ones (presumably going to watch a match).
Something else to ponder is how the referendum of 2023 for a First Nations "voice" in Federal Parliament and the same-sex marriage plebiscite were both a result of decisions made by Prime Minister John Howard.
Under his government the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission was dissolved, which had occupied a role like that of the "voice," and the Marriage Act was amended to explicitly define marriage as the union of a man and a woman.
As for Hector, I often remember him at the Friends Meeting House in Canberra as well as being elected in
the first ACT Assembly elections.
He was:
While
I can't find anything online to support Kinloch's role in the 1967
Referendum, I have no reason to doubt my mother's recollection of how he explained events and find myself more
interested in learning about Hector's life.
