The crater in my soul

One of the questions the film Oppenheimer avoids is whether it was a war crime for the US to drop atomic bombs on domestic targets

George Orwell wrote that  "history is written by the winners" and few people question whether the end of the war justified the use of a devastating weapon like the atomic bomb.

I've been reflecting on that question during the anniversary of that watershed moment.

One of the most profound spiritual experiences during my visits to the Quaker Meeting House in Canberra was when an American woman felt moved to speak about the bombings. 

She was in tears as she announced her feeling of guilt for being from that country.

It would've been about 30 years ago now and in my memory it is when I recognised how the spirit moves one to testify in that setting. 

That day was tempered with an observation by the late Hector Kinloch, who stood in meeting to ask if anyone had seen the beautiful rainbow that appeared during the week.

Increasingly I find a spiritual gap in my life and wonder whether I should return to prayer with the Quakers.