Her and Hoffman


"Her" trailer plus Philip Seymour Hoffman from Richard Trammell

So I was watching Spike Jonze's movie Her and remembered this trailer which had been edited to use Phillip Seymour Hoffman's voice, who died within weeks of it appearing online.

Her is a clever film and in many ways the story is about human nature. I liked the sense that meaning is created through impermanence, so it seemed all the more poignant that Hoffman's voice was used to replace Scarlett Johansson as the character Samantha.

Another aspect of the film is how we project onto people in our relationships, making the sense of loss with the tragic demise of an acting talent like Hoffman a kind of comment on relationships created through mediums -- whether it's an operating system or movies.

One thing I found kinda charming about the film was how accepting most of the characters were about the idea of having a relationship with an operating system. Dunno, I can see the film would be quite silly if this wasn't the case but it underscored for me that if someone is happy and not doing themselves harm, then loving should be like I once heard Michael Franti say:
"It's not who you love but do you love?"