Art in the age of mechanical reproduction

My grandfather had a collection of paintings on his walls

When I was a child I was curious about the art produced by my uncle, but otherwise I never thought about the rest until after he died.

Then the paintings were divided among his children and my father started having paintings on his walls.

I thought it was cool that one was by Pro Hart, since I'd heard of him.

Anyway, one day I looked closely at this painting of a woman riding a bicycle.

(I'm not sure who it's by, sorry I know that I should have an acknowledgment.)

So it might've been because I like riding bikes, but I hadn't really liked the painting.

I think I might've thought that the wavy lines seemed to ruin the image.

The result seemed a bit vague and indistinct, but now that's one of the things I like about it.

It's kinda dreamy and dynamic.

However, one day I looked closely at this painting and could see the wavy lines cut through layers of paint.

That was one of those lightbulb moments, when I realised how the process of painting contributed to the resulting image.

It reminded me of how colour photography works with layers to produce a representation.

Yet, rather than a chemical process, I could see how the brushstrokes built up the image.

Since then I've learned about blocking, the colour undercoat that sets a tone for a painting.

Now, when I see the painting of the cyclist, I surprise myself with new details that I admire.

The wavy lines capture movement, both in their representation and in their physical process.

Lately I've been appreciating the colour palette, particularly the light blue and lime green and brown.