Are you having a baby?


Here's the advice I've been giving to first-time fathers: wear a button-up shirt to the hospital.

Why wear a button-up shirt? Because you should have skin-to-skin contact with your child at the first opportunity.

If you're waiting for the first feed, open your shirt and put the baby on your chest. I know you'll have doubts but trust me, the bonding process has started and your baby wants to be close to you.

Your newborn has just been separated from the person it's been closest to for all of its short life and this is the chance for them to learn who you are.

The children I did this with seemed to recognise me much earlier and they also cried less while waiting to be breastfed. I encourage all fathers to try skin-to-skin contact because it's a magic start to the relationship you form with your child.