Two steps

This weekend I formed a band and wrote a song

I'd started with the chorus riff last weekend, when I was playing guitar while watching TV and thought it would sound good through a fuzz pedal.

When the Disquiet Junto instructions arrived I set to work, writing lyrics and structuring a rough version of the song with MIDI.

Then I played along with that and gave myself three takes on each instrument.

These parts were combined and, as the song took shape, I needed less editing.

The lyrics formed around the line that I used to remember the riff, and they go:


I am ready to unlearn almost everything

board up the windows of this building

a Do Not Disturb sign hangs on the door

while I’m sleeping through all your phone calls

Life’s like a stranger all over again

the most beautiful thing is finding a friend

going around, ups and downs, no truth

feels like my life plays in a loop


Whenever it feels like I'm taking

two steps forward

I know I’ll be making

one step back





As a kid I’d always say that I’m almost done

so I’ve been training for this moment and then some

this is a time when I never complete stuff

leave the edges uncut, torn and rough

stop imagining myself sinking like a brick

let’s throw it all out and see what will stick

what if every movement was strengthening?

I want to be a building that bends with the wind