Action Day

One of the best things about working at the Museum is the people

There are so many passionate individuals who have contributed to the Park. You can scarcely look around without noticing a human touch, from the wear and tear to the gardens and plaques.

Many of the people who visit have their own connections or remember family members who were involved. This is what makes Action Day so special, as there are volunteers who appear and suddenly an old engine is running.

On Good Friday I observed one of those moments.

It was nearly time for the gates to open and a car was loitering near the Tractor Shed. I checked they knew and was told by the driver that he'd park at the top again.

Then a woman indicated an older man in the front seat and told me they had brought him to see the T-20 tractor. I don't know much about tractors but the T-20 is distinctive for its caterpillar tracks and I know the Museum has three of them.

Continuing to talk about the older man, she said something like "we haven't seen him smile for months and thought he'd like to see the tractor he restored."

A little later I was standing near the Machinery Shed and saw the T-20 rattling down the road.

I recognised the opportunity and started filming the tractor roll past, then panned toward the older man as he sat in his wheelchair. It wasn't clear if he was smiling, so I walked forward.

"How does the engine sound?" I asked.

His voice was a mumble among the engines that were running, but he seemed pleased.

By now the bloke who'd been driving both the car earlier and now the T-20 had parked the tractor and walked over. He explained the older man was born in 1935, the same year the tractor was released.