Least favourite

My workplace supplies biscuits for morning tea

Not all places where I've worked do offer morning tea for staff and one place asked for a financial contribution to cover this civility.

Anyway, I noticed the tearoom near my office had only Shortbread Cream left.

Usually I don't pay attention, because I bring almonds and dates to snack on during the day and find that combination is more appealing than chocolate or cake or most things on offer.

But I got curious and checked the downstairs tearoom and noticed the Shortbread Cream also appeared to be consumed less often. 

(That's a row of them on the left of the plastic tray.)

It led me to research Arnotts and I was surprised this biscuit went on sale in 1908 but I expect palm oil has changed their recipe.

Then I discovered that Kingstons have been around since the 1920s.

I'd always assumed they were a bastardisation of an Anzac biscuit, but it turns out they were around before parliament passed legislation about what can be called an Anzac.

(And Kingstons don't have oats, so I've learned something today.)

The chocolate one doesn't compare to an Oreo, although the look very similar.

If I had to pick one, it might be the Monte Carlo.

Their dry biscuit and addition of a jam-like flavour with the cream gives it more complexity, I think.

Now I think about it, the cream is what makes all of these taste terrible and the biscuits are no good for dipping in a cuppa as they leave a weird oily residue and usually fall apart after two dunks.