We All Have Wings

For the next fortnight I have an art installation at the Leeton Community Op Shop

This developed after I met Narelle at the Western Riverina Arts networking event in Leeton last year.

She'd outlined her ideas to develop a mural and I offered to assist with writing a grant.

Later I visited the Shop and she gave me a tour, pointing out the windows and how they host displays from local organisations.

Then she asked if I was interested in displaying something and I couldn't pass the opportunity, although I wasn't sure what it would look like.

While considering ideas I remembered the butterfly brooches I'd started collecting at the Op Shop when I noticed they had a few.

I'm now up to six butterflies.

In another conversation she'd mentioned it would be great to develop a public art piece that would make people want to take a selfie.

Around the same time I'd seen Council's draft graffiti policy and the ideas began to coalesce.

The final piece was when I found a friend on Facebook who is living in Prague and we'd discussed INXS' film clips, particularly 'Never Tear Us Apart'



The line "we all have wings" spoke to me of the potential for personal transformation.

After that I started seeing butterflies everywhere, particularly in memes and places I hadn't considered (such as a symbol for transgender expression).

I recognised the rich symbol they provided but wanted to keep the meaning ambiguous, so that it might mean a variety of things to viewers.

The window display features the words "We all have wings" with a picture of INXS' Michael Hutchence.

These were cut from reclaimed cardboard and sewn onto an old sheet, as I'd decided the Op Shop display should use recycled materials -- both as a nod to the nature of the business and because I didn't have a budget and am currently not earning an income.