Cultural Marxism

Studying an arts degree in the 1990s introduced me to a variety of critical theories

It was instructive how the conservative commentators were in turn critical of those perspectives.

One idea I liked was the notion of hegemony developed by the Italian Marxist Antonio Gramsci. 

Hegemony holds that the trickle-down of power from the ruling class will sometimes need to navigate resistance to reach into the working classes.

As a student of Anthropology it fascinated me to consider the ways global companies would have to adjust their products to meet audiences in different cultures.

I used to amuse myself with the idea that it'd be interesting to compare McDonalds' menus in different countries, but I might've been inspired by the dialogue early in Pulp Fiction.

That discussion compared how Europeans would used mayonnaise on their french fries.

I also considered how Indian hamburgers used lamb rather than beef, for example.

Anyway, I recently saw this discussion of how the names of Disney characters vary across Europe.

It got me thinking about Gramsci again, although so-called cultural Marxism is widely reviled by right-wing commentators these days.

So I won't write about how much I enjoy the writing of the Frankfurt School.