Top 10: Saturday Night Fever

Recently I was tagged on Facebook for one of those things where you post favourite albums

Saturday Night Fever was the first album I owned.

It was an unlikely birthday present at age eight from my grandfather Jack, who probably had been informed that I’d developed an interest in disco.

That would’ve been around the time I saw The Village People movie because a screening of The Empire Strikes Back was sold out.

‘Staying Alive’ remains a great tune, especially now I know the 100bpm tempo is the perfect pace for CPR chest compressions.

Walter Murphy’s ‘A Fifth of Beethoven’ is another fun track, one of those disco cover versions that can be really memorable at early hours on a dance floor.

I don’t listen to them much now but it’s been interesting for me to see my son Oscar has also gravitated towards these songs.