Fore(gone)sight

One of my favourite moments in Star Wars, a film which admittedly has many moments, is when Obi-Wan Kenobi instructs Luke "your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them"

Humans have at least five senses but sight dominates our lives.

It's been a frustration for me as an interdisciplinary artist that Australian galleries focus mostly on visual media.

It's also been an interest for me as a way to explore opportunities, such as soundtracks for exhibitions or blindfolded tours.

So I'm interested to see that pommel horse champ Stephen Nedoroscik takes off his glasses when he performs. “It’s all about feeling the equipment. I don’t even really see when I’m doing my gymnastics. It’s all in the hands — I can feel everything.”

This also relates to my earlier observation about the shared aspects of art and sport, particularly how they're united in culture.

Many athletes talk about not-thinking when they’re at play. 

“I have to focus on not thinking,” says gymnast Simone Biles. 

“If you think about a trick, sometimes it makes it harder,” says skateboarder Minna Stess. “When I’m skating, the best thing is to not think at all.”

It reminds me when I'm at a life-drawing class, as soon as I start to think too much about the picture as it takes shape, it will begin to fall apart.

Likewise, I get into the flow state of creativity by being in the present and not worrying about the result.

Seeing is believing, says an adage that's clearly out of date with our world of digital manipulation.

I think seeing is easy to rationalise and also to assure agreement with those sharing a view.

However, I am a believer that appealing to other senses can be more persuasive.

My partner, for example, gets amazing results from smelling good and her exhibitions have included tactile exhibits that defy sight by asking people to put their hands into prepared boxes.

And my sister's cooking is another remarkable skill, which has led me to incorporate cooking into my gallery events through my love of sharing new toasted sandwich recipes.

Sport, like art, are components of our shared culture and I want to encourage everyone to explore their senses.