Spicy snacks

The other day I was telling my grocer how much I've enjoyed eating the snacks he's imported from India

I've posted on here about the Kurkure Mango Achaari Triangles and Chilli Chatka, which are both hot in a way that discourages most of my kids from asking for some and gives me a nice buzz.

More recently I tried these chilli and lemon flavoured potato chips, which was a combination that hadn't occurred to me but can be found in many stir-fries.

Once again it was tasty and spicy in a way not normally found in the chips sold at Australian supermarkets.

Even though we've adopted many culinary influences in this country, there is a clear segregation at work in the "international' sections of the shops.

Sure, there are some chilli and sour cream flavours available but they are, as the expression goes, weak as piss.

Or so I thought until my last visit.

While buying Pringles for a child's birthday party I spotted this promising Chilli Sambal flavour alongside the "Aussie" varieties of chicken salt and meat pie -- the latter reminds me of gravy, so it could be a Sunday roast.

Pringles Chilli Sambal has a nice amount of spice and a vinegar finish that is a bit similar to the Lays shown above for a heat and acidity combination.

I'm still hoping that the manufacturers of rice snacks will incorporate curry flavours but it's great to see increasing spice and variety in the snack section at the supermarket.