Get these snacks India

Recently a new grocer opened in Griffith and I guess the owners are Indian because of the usual identifiers like appearance and accent but also because they stock these Indian snacks.

I've written elsewhere that I'd like to see more curry-flavoured snacks, noting an opportunity for rice crackers.

So I was intrigued when I saw these Kurkure brand snacks and bought the green chutney, chilli chatka and masala flavours.

They're made from rice and corn flour and the result is a lot like Twisties snacks in shape and texture but with much more flavour.

The flavours vary from the fragrant yet spicy chilli one, to the saltier and also spicier chutney. The latter has almost twice the sodium content of the former, then the masala was sorta in-between with a bit more of a tomato-sorta flavour.

I'm really taken with them for being spicier and more complex than the flavours of snacks usually found in Australia. Most of the local products seem to be variations on salt in comparison.

I like that Griffith has a growing community from the subcontinent, including a Sikh temple built on the Hanwood side of the city.

Another thing that I like about the city is that it still promotes multiculturalism as a benefit for Australian society and an easy way to encourage people to explore different cultures is with their tastebuds.

In fact, I was pleasantly surprised when I attended a meeting of the Griffith Multicultural Council that it included a shared supper.