Sock sentimentality



These are my favourite socks. They came from my grandfather and I'm told my great-grandmother knitted them for him, which seems like the sort of thing a mother-in-law might've done.

These knitted socks are remarkable for both their age and their comfort. I'm beginning to worry they'll wear out because I wear them at least twice a week.

If anyone knows someone who would knit me socks, I would happily pay a bounty for them as these socks have probably lasted more than one lifetime and make me feel amazingly snug in my boots.



I liked these socks while they lasted. They came to me when I subscribed or resubscribed to Crikey.com.au, an excellent alternative media.

It's important to support alternatives to the mainstream media in Australia because the newspaper market is dominated by Rupert Murdoch and Fairfax/Rural Press. Crikey appeared a bit over 10 years ago and I remember first reading Stephen Mayne's columns in Private Eye. He's since sold Crikey to the publishers of that magazine.



These socks were a rip-off. I bought them at the National Gallery of Australia's awesome Surrealism exhibition because they were one of the few things in the gift shop I could afford at the time. They wore out very quickly and I'm finally chucking them out.