Once in a blue moon?

Previously I quoted Tim Rogers saying that no one knows how to write a hit song. Which soothes the pain of never getting Tim's opinion of my tune Blue Moon.

This is the version I might've performed for him:
Blue Moon (Jase's single take) by ShowcaseJase

And this is the version I recorded with my BFF in 2007:
Blue Moon by ShowcaseJase

And this is a slower instrumental version:
Blue Moon by bassling

Anyway, I've reconsidered the role of songwriting in producing a hit after this quote from Sia Furler in the SMH Spectrum section last month:
"You can market poop. You just have to listen to the radio to hear the poop being marketed."


Guess it could be any number of things. These opinions segue to my surprise at the popularity of this tune I knocked out quickly and didn't like much. If I were marketing my own music, I wouldn't have picked this track as a single yet it's been heard more often than any of my other recent work.

trip-hop by bassling

Maybe it's the name? Trip-hop might be a search term as a genre.

Then again, maybe I'm obsessing over numbers instead of my own enjoyment of music.

Maybe Prince was right when he said:

"The internet's completely over. I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.

"The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good.

"They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."


(BTW this Prince quote is a very popular topic at present. I like the discussion here lots, especially the bit about carrying a church instead of a reverb unit.)