One of the outcomes from training for an RSA certification this week was craving alcohol
I haven't felt the need to drink for ages, so my mind turned to the collection of bottles in my dwindling cellar.
This Morris Durif was a gift from my father-out-law and, when I saw the year, I knew it needed to be drunk.While durif usually benefits from cellaring, the year 1998 was sweet and fruity and that meant many of the wines didn't have the same tannin structure you want for keeping them longer term.
The wine reminded me of a wonderful jam that I bought at a church sale, which was cherry with vanilla.
This durif had some oak flavour prompting the latter, while the softness of the body was like juice.
There's a lot I could write about the RSA course, which was a full day and weirdly structured with important details like defining intoxication left until the fifth module.
It also neglected giving detailed consideration to the antisocial impacts of this legal drug, such as the disproportionate number of men who suffer violence from strangers.
However, it was eye-opening for me to learn about the strategies for minimising drink-spiking that impact on women.
