Reflection on listening to the radio

This year I've been trying to keep a journal and my reflection today seems innocuous enough that it hopefully won't embarrass me later

Driving to work today and I observed a surprising shift in myself.

In hindsight it seems kinda obvious but it was also very subtle.

I was listening to the news across three ABC stations.

They were discussing the events of the week in politics, the tsunami in Tonga and COVID-19, as well as commentary.

As I pressed for the radio to tune to a different station, it started searching and then went past the one I wanted to start scanning up from the bottom of the spectrum.

It arrived at the ABC Classical broadcast and, hearing the soft symphonic music, I felt a lightness.

There was a kind of shift in the weight of my head and also it was like my focus moved.

This reminded me of the way I can feel relief from no longer trying to read small print (because I'm long-sighted), but I could feel a different sort of mental focus.

The feeling deepened as a soprano brought a sophisticated vibrato to the performance.

I marvelled at the emphasis she brought to passags but wavering notes slowly and fast.

It reminded me how much I enjoy music but also how little of it I've been listening to recently.