Retail detail

'Tis the season for consumption and I've been thinking about the changing nature of retail after my trip to Canberra

Went to Woden Plaza and noticed it's now run by Westfield. Clearly they're trying to make the place into somewhere people want to spend time. There was an indoor playground in one court and live music on Friday night in the other, where they were selling sparkling wine.

Went to Costco and, using my brother’s membership card, I bought the cheapest fuel and Heinz baked beans I’d seen anywhere in recent weeks (at 138.7c/litre and 0.26/100g respectively). However, the warehouse-style environment on the outskirts of town encouraged the kind of hit-and-run-style shopping one used to do at shopping malls like the Plaza. The Woolworths built next door might advertise them as an alternative but there was nothing to encourage my entry.

Also went to Kambah's suburban shops, where I witnessed Woolies literally having a hit-and-run as I saw two blokes dash from the bottleshop and into a waiting car with their shoplifted alcohol.

Then I went around the corner to a games shop that used both the trends from the mall and the warehouse. Half the shop was a library of games with tables to play them and membership allowed one to borrow games to play at home.

I know I'm probably late with this observation but I found it interesting to see how the internet is forcing shops to find new ways to compete.